A new report by the organizers of China outbound travel tradeshow ITB China finds that:
- More than 90% of 200 outbound travel suppliers surveyed believe travel still to be a preferred leisure activity of Chinese people.
- 40% have recently received inquiries about outbound travel products.
- 10.5% have recently sold outbound travel.
- 60% believe that Chinese household travel spend in the next year will be between $700 and $2800, 24% say $2800-$7060.
According to the China Tourism Research Institute, domestic destinations received 43.3M visits from Chinese tourists during the 5-6 April 2020 Tomb-Sweeping Holiday.
And per the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism, during the 1-5 May holiday period, domestic destinations received 115M visitors and $6.79B in spend. Also during the 25-27 June Dragon Boat Holiday, there were 48.8M domestic visits and $1.75B spend.
A report by Trip.com (formerly Ctrip) published on 29 July 2020 shows that:
- More than 4000 Chinese travel agencies have domestic travel products on their platform.
- Arrivals to popular destinations were up 273% month-on-month.
- Departures from popular domestic geographical markets were up 1200% month-on-month.
If the USA has COVID-19 under control by 2021, will Chinese tourists return despite being blamed in US media for the COVID-19 pandemic? Stay tuned.