Red Light District tours are commonly offered as shore excursions to cruise passengers during Amsterdam port calls.
But now the City of Amsterdam has announced that as of 1 April 2019 Red Light District tours must end by 7 PM (vs. current 11 PM), and that effective 1 January 2020 guided tours of the district will no longer be allowed.
Rationale is: these tours result in disturbances, and are disrespectful of sex workers.
Other changes as of 1 January 2020:
- Offering free tours and recruiting participants: prohibited.
- Tour participants will have to pay a tax.
- Max tour group size to be 15 vs. current 20.
- Tour guides must meet quality standards and be accredited.
- Guides providing tours in the city center but outside the Red Light District will need a permit.
- Violators will be fined up to 2500 euro.
Note that item about tours "in the city center but outside the Red Light District" - that's a direct blow for the livability of Amsterdam and against overtourism. (See Related Articles.)